Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lucky Star OVA

Photobucket
We didn't get the opening theme song! :O

:O I was waiting for the OV for so long, I forgot the actual date it was going to air. I am that special. But I found a few people talking about it on the forums so I ran to find a website that was hosting it.

Photobucket
Welcome to Lucky Star, OVA style!

The OVA was very typical of the Lucky Star series: there were some humorous moments and there were some boring ones. The OVA was broken up into little segments that could stand alone and were not related to one another. The art remained the same which was a HUGE plus for me. All of the girls made an appearance, even if the 1st year girls had much smaller parts.
Read more about the OVA




Photobucket
They are pleased with the OVA.

The funniest moments for me were the MMORPG game and the "Cinderella dream". These scenarios generated more laughs out of me, for I am a machine now. I also saw several excellent figurine making moments that I hope to see in the future. Lucky Star combining Hatsune Miku and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya at the same time is either an overwhelming collection of fad series or a new level of AWESOME WIN!!! And I tend to side with the awesome win. The MMORPG was fun considering in the series, Konota and Nanako were only shown talking on the computer and no actual action. I caught myself thinking a few times that Tsukasa was a noob for not knowing how to distribute her points or talk in game. Kagami is a closet gaming freak, I know it!

Photobucket
Noob Alert!

Photobucket
Stranger parties lead to looting!

Photobucket
MMM leek...

There were also some boring moments in the OVA, which was fine for me as this shows a daily life perspective and every day cannot be exciting. The opening segment with the dog was very boring, especially the end when Minami was concerned for the dog being sick. That dog was a picky eater! :O

Photobucket
The dog is a great judge of character.

The Lucky Channel was real life and not animated as it usually is. It took up a big chunk of time and was not as amusing as it usually is. I think had it been animated, they could have done more with that.

Photobucket
I didn't take any pics of that...so enjoy this one!

Lucky Star kept up the parody train during the OVA as well. Kagami cosplayed as Vocaloid Character Vocal Series and Rin Tōsaka from Fate/stay night. Konata donned her Yuki Nagato witch outfit from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Konata's cell phone is still the "movie" theme from TMOHS". The pet shop employee claimed to be Zero from Code Geass (his lines are especially humorous as there is a huge debate whether or not Lelouch was actually killed in the series finale). There is a Soul Eater moment with Konata and the cat. There are plenty of other anime/tv references, some being more obscure given Konata’s nature to bring up old references.

Photobucket
Konata is more excited wearing that costume than Yuki ever was.

Photobucket
Tape is magical.

And just like the show, the OVA is easier to watch than explain. One has to watch the show to see all the gags and jokes. Short of writing down word for word what was said, the reader would not get the full Lucky Star experience. I did wish they mentioned more of the otaku life instead of having otaku dreams. Overall, it was an above average episode of Lucky Star. If you are a fan of the series, why are you still reading this?! Go and watch it now!!

Photobucket
Some random frogs.

Photobucket
She is very excited.

Photobucket
Cosplaying is fun.

Photobucket
Hopefully i will be back again one day...

Photobucket
She'll be waiting...
Thanks for reading.

No comments: