Friday, October 17, 2008

Today I officially reentered the work force.....

And before I even got to work, I was nearly involved in a horrible car accident! I was waiting at the intersection to cross traffic and turn left. No one was turning straight. I was the first car, so when the light went green, I automatically went. Well, apparently someone FLOORED IT and FLEW while I was halfway through the intersection. Had I not zoomed at the speed of fast, he would have hit my car!!!! I know that the person going straight as the right away. But that does not apply ONCE I AM ALREADY IN THE INTERSECTION! So, instead of taking it as a sign to turn back before it was too late, I kept on driving, cursing people who received their driver licenses in Cracker Jack boxes.

My first night at work was rather hectic and I felt like I was the child helping mommy in the kitchen. Of course, working with my mother AND both my brothers might be the most special decision I have made in a while. Only time will tell if working as a family brings us closer together or into a court room.

I only had one person mistake me for an underage teenager today REJOICE! He apparently thought it was cute I was working with my mother so I could pay room and board. That would be news to her husband was my mother’s answer, as I plastered on the fake smile I use to all rude people who assume to know how old I am. I am prepared to hear “AW, your little sister is working with you guys now, be nice to her now!”, because apparently if you are taller than someone, you must be older than them.

Someone must have announced it was my first night, as some interesting characters were sent to test me. I told one customer how much she owed me and she made a face. She called someone on the phone and complained about how much the bill was. She complained so much, I was sure I rang it up wrong and felt bad. My brother came behind me and told me not to worry, I did it right and she was just being cheap. Another group of people decided they were going to be slick and nickel and dime us on a certain product. However, those nickel and dimes ended up costing us 16 dollars. I understand times are tough and you are looking for ways to save money, but you basically ended up stealing from our business tonight. In my fantasy world, I calmly told them, no, you cannot be cheap jerks like that and you must do it this way, and then cackled evilly when they coughed up the cash. In real life, I gave them what they wanted while everyone glared as they left. Things could have been worse though and thankfully they were the most troublesome people to deal with today.


Today was an interesting day. I felt overwhelmed at times, but my family was close by to help me before I made a fool of myself. Some customers were hard to deal with, but some were super nice; I EVEN SMILED AT A CHILD *dies of shock*. I worried entirely too much about this first day. I just need to realize a job is a job; you do your best, accept responsibility when you make a mistake, and learn how to be a better worker. Remind me of my optimistic attitude in about three months when I am pulling my hair out in frustration. Or when I am in jail for hunting down that jerk that nearly killed me!!!

No comments: