Saturday, September 6, 2008

Anime forums getting a little too nasty

It seems the older I get, the harder it is to find mature people to talk about my hobby. Now that anime is so accessible and we can get a new episode within 6-12 hours after in aired in Japan, it has lost it’s hard to come by factor and become more mainstream. This has opened the door to the youtube generation who eat up any and everything on the net and sometimes, I find these kids lacking in social graces. This generation is full of consumption and assuming since they have a few shows under their belt, they have the right to impose their beliefs on others. It seems almost LOST where there is comradery among anime lovers (when it comes to some forums) and it becomes a 3rd grade fight you better like my favorite anime character or you are a loser. Beware if you do not like death note, you will be shun from boards and be branded a loser.

The name calling has gotten extremely bad this week. I have personally been called stupid, ignorant (I was then told that was NOT meant as an insult, someone explain me that) a sadist, and too sensitive. I go to anime forums to talk about new episodes, new releases, or favorite characters. I do not go to be insulted. I am sure people will tell me older posters can be just as rude, but this younger generation seems to be quicker to pull out the insults than take the time to come up with a thoughtful rebuttal or to even construct a meaningful insult that makes sense. People can have opinions without mud-sling (although I was also told that is how you are supposed to WIN a debate now by one incredible delusional poster).

It might be unfair to blame this solely on younger viewers/posters. It just seems the more anime becomes a popular hobby, the more the younger crowd comes and brings it’s bad apples with it. Perhaps I am over the whole MOG who would you marry threads and Naruto is the best anime EVER!!!!**!*!*!*$*% issues. I wish there was a 18+ forum where mature adults could get together to have fun and talk about our favorite shows and mangas without all the immature name calling. Until then, excuse me as I am currently the oldest one in the Shugo Chara thread and I must wade through the MOG Tadase is my boyfriend threads.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO. I love you V, you know I do. I love you so much I signed up for a forum that Ill probably forget I belong to tomorrow to skool a youngin. Too bad momma sent her to bed.

I think next time you should just hit the ignore button and forget a poster like that exists, cuz people like that are just out to ruin the experience for everyone.

Personally, I think the problem lies in those stupid post counts. They just encourage post whores, which is what i think this poster was all about. Debating a topic is all fine and dandy....but when you refuse to even listen to what your opponent is saying and you start calling names and cursing, maybe its time for someone to be the adult and step down. Especially if you are the one to start the topic in the first place.

Christina said...

thank you so much for your support. i agree that post counting can be a problem. on a different forum i use to post on, a user who had 7k posts (3/4th spam posts of pictures i might add) would tell people with lower post numbers that they basically were no one since he has more posts than them. that is a great way to build up new users and create a sense of community.

it is true people like her do ruin the experience for others. i have no idea what kids are learning this day in school, but manners and consideration for your fellow man/poster needs to be taught.

although i would like to add there are some younger poster that are mature for their age. they are just overrun by the louder and more obnoxious posters.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Not to sound old but I think the kids these days have like no manners and some of them are soooooooo rude. They're lucky they have all this technology(we didn't have all this technology as kids)and they take it all for granted. The point is alot of these kids need to stop being little sh*theads and get some manners.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject.Anime and Gaming