Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan episode 4

When I fall behind on something, even if it’s just one episode, it might be dropped forever. I am not sure why this happens. I missed one episode of LOST years ago and I have yet to catch up when though I was obsessed with that show. Poor Chrome Shelled Regios is still sitting on my “watching” list on AnimeList. I am not sure if it’s because I am lazy or all it takes if a few episodes to lose your motivation to catch up. One day I will watch LOST. Hopefully before people spoil the entire 4 or so seasons I haven’t seen.

Photobucket

Do you spy something boring too?

For days I have been talking about catching up on Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan (or simply Hakuouki as everyone else refers to it as making me feel weird). Even if I didn’t feel as if I was missing out on anything special I still have plans to watch this series. If only to mock it of course. However after just watching episode 4 my brain almost melted. There would be no way I could watch another episode and I need to eat cupcakes to soothe the pain away.

So yeah. This is only going to be about episode 4. And the spoilers/useful knowledge will be limited as I have no idea what is going on. Prepare to be unamazed just as the actual episode was.

This episode is brought to you by discounted cupcakes. Discounted cupcakes. Sweets taste better when you are saving money.



Photobucket

Everyone is getting along so nicely!

Episode Summary: Who knows. Who really knows what is going on. Our little Shinsengumi group (minus the two slightly injured members and the permanently injured emo member) and Chizuru go off to Kyoto. But oh wait they ARE in Kyoto. So I guess what they meant to say was the bigger part of the city? The gate? Who knows. But when the Shinsengumi get there that clan (clan A) decides to go all asshole on our heroes and tell them to keep on walking. Something about man pride or something. The Shinsengumi go to the next point where clan B decides they are assholes too. Seriously people there is a group of people running around killing innocent citizens and you don’t want help? So our heroes decide to camp out near the river since no one wants their help. Chizuru shows off how manly she can be by staying up late or something.

Photobucket

Headquarters you got so splainin to do!

The bad people (the Choushuu) start attacking and the Shinsengumi run off to save the day. But they are too late as they were way too far out of town to be of any help. The group splits up. Each group runs into the one of the two men that were with the Choushuu raid in episode 3 but were not a part of the Choushuu clan. They turn out to be a part of clan B but they still manage to be assholes to our heroes despite being on the same side or something. Insert a lot of names here. The blond man (who injured either Heisuke or Sanosuke last week) injuries a random Shinsengumi and Chizuru and stops the Shinsengumi from reaching the Choushuu who commit suicide on the mountain. Chizuru magically heals her own wounds while the few Choushuu that are left burn the city. The end.

Photobucket

Man pride: Starting drama since the beginning of time.

I don’t even know what I wrote people! Seriously if that episode summary is useful to anyone it would be a miracle. But that is how I felt watching this hot mess. Come feel the confusion with me.

Photobucket

Behold the magic.

The only interesting thing about this episode is the fact that Chizuru’s wound heals on its own. That’s it people. That is the only thing I get. It is also the only thing that remotely seems similar to what I was promised in the series synopsis. It was a blink and you will miss it moment. Well Mr. Chikage had some idea that Chizuru could do that as he purposely threw the sword at her but you get my drift. A very nonimportant part of the episode was the only thing I got out of this episode.

Photobucket

These people are truly grateful for any and all help.

The rest of it can be summed up very simply: Men suck. All this about man pride and men not talking directly to other men about important issues. No it is more important to be mad and pout in the corner. Let’s not demand to see superiors a little harder guys! It’s not like you have a nation to protect or anything.

I think the history part of this show is really confusing me. Way too many groups and subgroups to keep track of. But everyone hates each other. I don’t know who the bad guys are but at this point it doesn’t even matter as the “good” guys have people who stabbed the Shinsengumi last week and the other good guys were assholes too. Everyone hates the Shinsengumi woohoo!

Photobucket

Mog who the hell are you?!

This episode was so boring. A bunch of men not putting aside their differences to protect their city. Go men. I am sorta feeling bad for Chizuru now. Also the cross dressing guy with the gun was scary. That is all.

Photobucket

This only looks promising because it has something to do with the plot.

Next week Keisuke has an emo attack. It looks like he either wants to die or take the potion that turns him into a super human. Which would be special because I thought all of the Shinsengumi had already taken the potion and that is why we are looking for Chizuru’s dad, to get a cure. LIKE WE WERE PROMISED!

3 comments:

PraiseDivineMercy said...

I just found this when checking what episode I was on.
The point was to show how the Bakufu (the side loyal to the Shogun) were divided. The Shinsengumi were a group of ronin from Aizu who didn't enjoy much esteem prior to the Ikedaya Incident, which took place in episode Two. The people at the gate were the Shogun's regular guard, who look down on the Shinsengumi and are trying to prevent them from receiving patronage from a lord.
Then there's the Satsuma clan. The Satsuma and Choushu clans would eventually combine to form the rebellion. Satsuma was allied with Choushu before Kinmon no Hen, but turned against them briefly. They went back to supporting the Choushu after Miyabe and his radicals were forcibly purged. Seppuku played a big part in that. So all those scary guys from Satsuma are soon to be our next antagonists.
Compared to all the history playing out, the supernatural elements are just mildly interesting.

Christina said...

PraiseDivineMercy- The way you explained it makes so much more sense than just watching the episodes! Sounds like one must know a bit about history before watching this show. XD Thanks for the lesson, my head feels better now.

Fernando said...

Thank you, thank you for the explanation!!